Monday, June 2, 2008

Folklore - Jezinka sketch



Damn, I almost forgot about this topic. Well, after like five minutes of Google searching I found a disturbing and awesome Slavic folktale about these "Jezinkas" which charm people into falling asleep then rip out their eyeballs:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/sfs/sfs08.htm

My idea was to do a sort of collage of the goatherder boy, with the Jezinkas in the background trees offering their various objects, some thorns, maybe the eye-less old man... but actually planning all that out with decent composition was taking forever, so I just did this quicker sketch for tonight. Once again, I'd like to do a more completed work based on this. Crazy folklore is a goldmine of inspiration.

Things I'm not happy with - the hand of course, and an overall... Disney-ish quality to the linework.

No comments: